Title: Research Lead - Quantum Algorithms
Reports To: Executive Director
Salary: Starting Salary 100K negotiable depending on experience
Full time: 8 hr workday / 40 hr work week
The candidate will drive efforts to develop applications for near-future quantum computers and will lead enterprise collaborations that target real-world use cases for quantum processing. This is a 5-year research and development position subject to funding availabilities at QAI and success in annual performance reviews. The candidate benefits from the best practice in both industry and academia with the flexibility to work on interesting problems while retaining relevance to industrial applications. With access to a large network of industry partners, from quantum hardware providers all the way to end-users, the candidate would learn all areas of the quantum business, potentially leading to their own spin-off start-up. Through world-leading scientists in the QAI affiliates, the candidate can collaborate on joint projects, as well as student supervision, and maintain independent research activities to potentially to continue their career in academic sectors.
- Ph.D. in computer science, physics, electrical/computer engineering, mathematics, or closely related field.
- Know-how in the state-of-the-art of quantum computing as demonstrated by published works in quantum algorithms.
- 2+ years of relevant academic and/or industry experience.
- Interest in applying quantum algorithms to solve real-world problems.
- Familiarity with state-of-the-art machine learning or optimization techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to lead research projects and identify research directions.
- Has multiple academic/industrial collaborations in the past leading to fruitful outcomes.
- Excellent and innovative problem-solving skills.
- Familiarity with machine learning coding platforms like Tensor-flow, Pytorch etc.
- Familiarity with one or more of the quantum software platforms like Qiskit, Pennylane, Pyquil, Azure Quantum, BraKet, or Ocean.
Established in 2020, Quantum Algorithms Institute (QAI) aims to help secure British Columbia’s position as a global leader in the development of application of quantum computing for real-world problems. By bringing industry, academia and government together, QAI will leverage British Columbia’s strengths to establish an applied quantum computing ecosystem that features broad participation, an inclusive approach to core technology and is focused on building a critical mass of talent that drives skilled job creation and economic development across the province and Canada. QAI is located on Simon Fraser University’s Surrey campus, in a newly renovated facility where we will promote an inclusive and collaborative environment for students, industry researchers, and faculty. It is also a venue to host workshops, industry events, and incubate commercial projects.
Send your resume and a statement of interest to email@example.com and include “Research Lead - Quantum Algorithms” in the subject line.